3 Bedroom End of Terrace House For Sale
A house to make you smile in the City Centre.
The property has been subject to a ground up restoration by JNPC who are local artisan builders who have created a home worthy of St Ann Street with all its interest and historic houses in one of the oldest roads in the Medieval City.
Its rich history (Kelly’s Guide available at the central reference library, Salisbury) the building had at one time been linked to properties in both directions up St Ann Street and down through Dolphin Street. It had been an art gallery, an antiques shop, even a pub (at one point Salisbury had the highest number of pubs per resident and per square mile in England!). In the early to mid Twentieth Century it was a bicycle shop and this had been part of the reason the panelled wall in the entrance had originally been installed and has been preserved as a divider on entering the building with a small door and glass window which would have enabled the person working in the shop to see people entering. The large shop window openings have been preserved in their proportions as part of the listed requirement. They have had crafted lead sills made to give a clean and weatherproof finish, but with an artisanal styling and attention to detail.
The other original features that have been preserved are the door, which is thought to be Victorian, from the hallway into the open plan kitchen and dining and sitting room area and in the hallway one clothes peg that had been inside a small cupboard on the top floor has been put in the position of honour in the hallway in the small nook which was created as a warm cosy place to sit while taking off your shoes and coats. The other door is on the very top floor into the third bedroom and is also thought to be Victorian. The other important features are the beams in the sitting room area which were removed from the site, fully treated and conditioned and then replaced with them no longer having a structural role, but providing a great visual feature which is enhanced by the lighting over the seating island.
Another beautiful feature is the small staircase which leads to the top floor. This faithfully reproduced the stair that had been in place so the historic proportions are still experienced. The panelling was not a feature of the property, but is a feature often found in houses before they were ‘modernised’ and so has been recreated here.
The building brief was to create a high quality sumptuous luxury building which fitted into many historically interesting buildings, populated by people who enjoy being part of community where entertaining and enjoying links to the Cathedral are part of the way of life in the street. Whilst preserving the exterior and improving it beyond measure and putting in extra windows where they had previously been bricked up which re-balance the external appearance of the building to Georgian proportions, otherwise the exterior gives little away about the exceptional interior.
This huge reconstruction of the building where no expense has been spared and when time was taken in consultation with the Conservation Officer to make a building Salisbury can be proud of. Local crafts people have been involved where possible and the focus has been on sharing work between different experts rather than creating a lower specification which could have been done by less experienced artisan builders. The finishes have attracted a strong nomination from a Council member of the Salisbury Civic Society for an award for bringing a building back into use which is being considered currently (photographs have been submitted of the before and after).
St Ann Street was one of the earliest built-up ways leading directly from The Close to St Martin’s Church. It was known as St Martin’s Street until the 16th Century and as Tanner or Tanner’s Street from then until the 18th Century when its modern name became current. The way out of the City lay along St Ann Street and St Martin’s Church Street and then north of the church into the Southampton Road. In 1611 the east end of St Ann Street was closed by a row of houses of which the present Corner House of St Martin’s Church Street may be a survivor. These houses still existed in 1781, but by 1800 part of the row had been demolished and the present Southampton Road leading straight into St Ann Street cut through. Although mainly of the 18th Century St Ann Street contains some notable earlier buildings and the surviving houses show that in the 18th Century St Ann Street must have been a fashionable address and indeed continues to be so.
To be assessed.
Mains water, electricity and drainage are available.
No EPC available for this property
Other properties you might be interested in
Thomas Hardy Drive, Shaftesbury, Dorset, SP7
Guide Price £385,000
Whitefield Drive, East Stour, Gillingham, Dorset, SP8
Guide Price £550,000
Almansa Way, Lymington, Hampshire, SO41
Guide Price £500,000
Swan Lane, Leigh, Swindon, Wiltshire, SN6
Guide Price £590,000
Bay Lane, Gillingham, Dorset, SP8
Guide Price £530,000