2 Bedroom Terraced House For Sale
Refined City centre living.
The property was converted by JNPC who are local artisanal builders who have created a home worthy of St Ann Street with all its interesting historic houses in one of the oldest roads in the Medieval City.
In its rich history (‘Kelly’s Guide available at the central reference library, Salisbury) the building had at one time been linked to properties in both directions up St Ann Street and down through Dolphin Street. It had been part of an art gallery, an antique shop and even a pub (at one point Salisbury had the highest number of pubs per resident per square mile in England!).
The building brief was to create a high quality sumptuous luxury building that sits among many historically interesting buildings populated by people who enjoy being part of a community where entertaining and enjoying links to the Cathedral are part of a way of life in the street. While preserving the exterior and improving it hugely putting in an additional storey and creating a beautiful en-suite principal bedroom with views to the front along St Ann Street and across the chequer at the back.
In the early to mid 20th Century it had been part of a bicycle shop and then a bakery. This has been used as part of the inspiration to set the colour tone and theme for the house. The front door opening off the street would at one point have been the shop entrance and would have had slightly larger windows than now. The front is part of what has been preserved as part of the listings for the building which is more about its presence in the street and the role it had as a shop in the past.
During this huge reconstruction of the building where no expense has been spared time was taken in consultation with the Conservation Officer to make a building Salisbury can be proud of. Local crafts people have been involved where possible and the focus has been on sharing work between different experts rather than creating a lower specification which could have been done by less experienced builders. The finishes have attracted a strong nomination from a Council member of the Salisbury Civic Society for an award for bringing the building back in to use which is being considered currently (photographs have been submitted of the before and after).
53a has been given a steel supported interior shell and has been constructed top to bottom with materials providing exceptional insulation for both sound and energy. New party walls have been created on both sides and excellent fire protection materials have been deployed to ensure safety in the building. These features include an enclosed stairwell and a specialist fire spray system which works well in properties that have design features and where a sprinkler system would cause damage. This is a great example of the ‘belt and braces’ approach that has been taken to the building work and should give any lucky owner the absolute confidence they have a historic, but new, property to be proud of.
There is residents parking available and in addition parking for St Ann Street residents can be purchased (subject to availability) from the Cathedral Close Office in The Close. There are garages available in the estate nearby which many residents utilise for vehicles they don’t want to keep outside and can be rented very reasonably from the Council. For visitors and parties there is a multi-storey car park less than 2 minutes away.
On the ground floor at the back of the house a Dorset glass artist, Jude Alderman, was commissioned to create a window of wheat to reflect the warm sunny glow into the back of the kitchen shielding from view an outside area owned by the next door property and providing an artistic privacy and yet letting in daylight. The design brief was to create an eloquent statement about artisanal craft led design with a nod to the significant in the art the Cathedral and surrounding area has played in supporting artists and crafts people. It was also a nod to the house having a past history as a bakery and linking to Sting’s golden fields of Wiltshire.
GROUND FLOOR Entrance
FIRST FLOOR Bedroom 2
SECOND FLOOR Bedroom 1
St Ann Street was one of the earliest built-up ways leading directly from The Close to St Martin’s Church. It was known as St Martin’s Street until the 16th Century and as Tanner or Tanner’s Street from then until the 18th Century when its modern name became current. The way out of the City lay along St Ann Street and St Martin’s Church Street and then north of the church into the Southampton Road. In 1611 the east end of St Ann Street was closed by a row of houses of which the present Corner House of St Martin’s Church Street may be a survivor. These houses still existed in 1781, but by 1800 part of the row had been demolished and the present Southampton Road leading straight into St Ann Street cut through. Although mainly of the 18th Century St Ann Street contains some notable earlier buildings and the surviving houses show that in the 18th Century St Ann Street must have been a fashionable address and indeed continues to be so.
To be assessed.
Mains water, electricity and drainage are available.
No EPC available for this property
Other properties you might be interested in
Linden Close, Laverstock, Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP1
Guide Price £415,000
Thomas Hardy Drive, Shaftesbury, Dorset, SP7
Guide Price £385,000
Victoria Road, Fordingbridge, Hampshire, SP6
Guide Price £375,000
Latimer Street, Romsey, Hampshire, SO51
Guide Price £269,950
West Street, Ringwood, Hampshire, BH24
Guide Price £285,000