8 Bedroom Equestrian Facility For Sale
Beautiful Grade II* Listed 11th Century dwelling house with original Tudor features and 16th Century remodeling, integral secondary accommodation, five further dwellings, farm buildings, nestled within a ring fence of permanent pasture and woodland with River Avon frontage in Luckington village.
• Grade II* Listed dwelling house with 8 bedrooms and 7 bathrooms
• Integral flat and separate self-contained annexe accommodation
• 5 further dwellings
• 17th Century dovecote
• Traditional farm buildings
• 18.99 acres (7.68 hectares) of permanent grassland
Local history of the surrounding area places Luckington Court on the site of a manor owned by King Harold II before 1066 who was killed that year in the Battle of Hastings, so there is a known potential royal connection. Placed in the Domesday Book its name has been given as Lochintone.
Built in local creamy Cotswold stone, Luckington Court was first extended and remodeled in a 16th Century or earlier core by the Fitzherbert family, who had purchased in 1632 and continued to own until the early 1800's. There were further additions including the service wing to the north by the Johnson-Ferguson family in 1921.
Lt-Col Trevor Horn and his family purchased Luckington Court in 1947; he was renowned in the area for being the first director of the world's most prestigious three day event, Badminton Horse Trials and remained at the helm until 1956.
In 1995, Luckington Court had exteriors and interiors used to showcase Longbourn, the Bennet family home, in the BBC's TV series Pride and Prejudice, which starred Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle. Lt-Col Horn's daughter returned to Luckington Court in 2003 and since then, has conducted a compassionate programme of improvement and modernisation across the whole Estate.
This exemplary English country dwelling house, with its elegant well-proportioned rooms, good ceiling heights and tall sash windows, provides not only a wonderful home and place to live but also a profitable Estate, with expanded farming, residential and commercial income streams.
Luckington Court is a Grade II* Listed Cotswold stone detached dwelling house which was first extended and refashioned in a 16th Century style with original Tudor features at the rear including the stone mullioned windows. There is a Queen Anne front pillared portico with a magnificent wood carved doorway reputedly by Grinling Gibbons.
Constructed under a stone slate roof and ashlar stacks, with hipped roof, moulded coping to parapet and corner urns. There are eighteen pane thick glazing bar sashes in ovolo moulded stone surround. Internal features include the bolection moulded hall fireplace, the enclosed staircase with paneled dado and turned balusters to the landing. Luckington Court provides flexible living accommodation with a combination of naturally lit and open flowing areas, excellent for entertaining.
The accommodation briefly comprises a large welcoming Reception Hall with large limestone flagged floor and bolection moulded hall fireplace which leads to a central inner hall and doors to the principal reception rooms. The Dining Room has an open fire place and access to a separate Study. The large Drawing Room has decorative woodwork, a stone open fireplace and doors through into the Music Room with a French door into the garden. The Cellar is accessed from this room. The Sitting Room provides a more intimate space with an open inglenook fireplace.
The large open plan family Kitchen/Breakfast Room with comprehensive range of fitted units and 4 oven AGA provides an ideal everyday living space with a separate Scullery and Utility Room.
From the inner hall, there are a pair of Cloakrooms and steps up into the Summer Kitchen and beyond into a charming triple aspect stone Loggia. These delicate full height French window doors within the Loggia connect the outside with the inside seamlessly through the characterful stone pergola.
The rear covered space of the ground floor provides an integral staff w.c and laundry room, with a separate boot room and three further store rooms and wood store.
The first floor of Luckington Court can be accessed from either of two staircases with a generous circular landing with useful linen cupboards. There are eight well proportioned bedrooms, four of which have ensuite facilties with a further three separate bathrooms.
The second floor has the integral flat accommodation comprising of kitchen, sitting room, bedroom and bathroom together with separate games room, additional attic rooms with potential to provide further accommodation. The boiler room is situated here.
Luckington Court is located in the attractive Cotswold village of Luckington, close to the Gloucestershire/Wiltshire borders being easily accessible by road and rail, and has excellent communication links from the M4.
Luckington village provides the community with a primary school, public house, village hall, shop and church.
Bristol Airport (28 miles) and Kemble Airport (14 miles) plus local airfields which can all accommodate private aircraft.
The area is well renowned for its excellent choice of schools including Westonbirt, Beaudesert Park, St Marys Calne, Badminton School, Kingswood, and Marlborough College.
Regular race meetings at Chepstow, Cheltenham, Newbury and Bath. Hunting with The Beaufort and Polo at Westonbirt and Cirencester Park. There is a good network of bridleways and national trails across the county.
GARDENS & GROUNDS
Luckington Court is approached down a gravel driveway through Domain Gates via a wild meadow orchard of mature apple and cherry trees with traditionally managed parkland on either side. The extensive lawns approaching Luckington Court are dominated by a 400 year old Lebanese Cedar, which has one of the largest girths ever recorded within the UK, which is interspersed amongst tall and majestic Scots Pines. The sweeping gravel driveway finishes in front of the dwelling house and provides ample parking.
There are many ancient ornamental pears and other species of attractive small trees throughout the grounds including a specimen golden Catalpa, Tulip tree, fruiting Mulberry, a Davidia 'Handkerchief' tree and many Lilacs. Furthermore, there are early spring flowering Malus Rudolph crabapple and Cornus Mas cherry trees together with Laburnum, Acacia Dealbata and Katsura, 'Burnt Sugar' tree later in the summer.
From the Loggia, on the main croquet lawn, there is a York Cathedral paved terrace which leads into a shady Wisteria covered pergola with a stone carved bench and oval vista set into high garden walls with extensive views over the Parkland. The Roman inspired Portico, said to be designed by Capability Brown, together with its double wrought iron gates and oval vistas have been carefully restored which lead through to the tennis court with a lavender planted path and wild flower meadow with several specimen trunked silver Birch trees and Sorbus.
The rose garden is approached through a wrought iron gate, featuring a lead Dolphin fountain and encompassed on three sides by a Cotswold stone wall and 19th Century stable block. There are espaliered fruit trees and two climbing rose pergolas, one of which straddles the traditional Cotswold broken paved pathways. There is a separate rose bush parterre set behind the Rose Garden Cottage and Dovecot.
The Stable Block
A Grade II Listed traditional range of Cotswold stone built buildings with stone tiled roofs comprising of seven loose boxes, cart shed, tack room and feed store with attached double garage/workshop with separate w.c.. The stable block overlooks the rose garden with The Coach House incorporated within and has huge potential for redevelopment (subject to planning).
A superb Grade II Listed 17th Century square Dovecote built from dressed limestone with pyramidal tiled roof and original wall nesting recesses.
Outdoor Riding School
Situated to the north of the residential cottages, there is an outdoor school which has recently been covered with a sand surface and is bordered by Cotswold stone walls.
Home Farm Buildings
Home Farmyard is a traditional range of buildings, with their own gated access off Church Road, which provide functional accommodation but also lend themselves to further redevelopment (subject to planning).
Extending to some 4190 sq ft (389.35 sq m), the accommodation includes a Cotswold stone built storage shed, steel portal framed cattle building on a concrete pad and two former bull pens. In addition, there is a purpose built cattle yard, separate general purpose building and two further pole barns. These could easliy accommodate a range of stables & equestrian facilities
Mains electricity (rewired 2016) and water connected. Home Farmyard is also the site for the Biopure sewerage plant (installed 2011) which supports the residential properties and caters for up to 28 residents.
There are 5 cottages, four of which are let on Assured Shorthold Tenancies (AST's). These are well presented with modern interiors and well maintained exteriors. Most have their own enclosed private gardens and all have allocated parking. There is a further communal gravel parking area.
Rose Garden Cottage
The former potting shed; a converted one bedroom Cotswold stone property with stone tiled roof. Positioned within the walled garden, features include a stone spiral staircase, exposed original Oak timbers and a large inglenook fireplace with wood burning stove.
The Coach House
Attached to the original stable block, a converted two bedroom Cotswold stone property with exposed beams throughout under a stone tiled roof. There is a good sized entrance hall leading into a large storage room and a secluded private patio. Accommodation on the first floor includes separate kitchen with large beamed sitting room, two bedrooms and bathroom.
A converted four bedroom Cotswold stone property with stone tiled roof. Positioned within the original courtyard, the accommodation includes large triple aspect kitchen breakfast room with woodburning stove, leading out onto a rear patio. Separate dining room with french doors to further reception room and one bedroom on the ground floor. Staircase leading to a further three bedrooms, family bathroom and large open space. Features include a lawned garden with full length traditional beamed lean-to and a storage shed.
A converted one bedroom north facing Cotswold stone property with stone tiled roof. A full height living room with featured exposed beams and installed wood burner. Separate kitchen and showeroom on ground floor. There is an open plan double bedroom on the first floor. Small private garden and parking for vehicles within the main courtyard.
Court Farm Cottage
A detached three bedroom Cotswold stone property with roman tiled roof. Accommodation includes a large triple aspect sitting room with feature fireplace and wood burner, patio doors to the garden. Separate reception room and kitchen breakfast room plus utiltiy room with patio leading onto the garden. On the first floor, there are three double bedrooms, one with ensuite facilities and family bathroom.
Luckington Court is an excellent permanent grassland Estate with good sized paddocks. The soil is a fertile lime rich loam over clay and classified as Grade 2/3 quality.
The permanent grassland which extends to about 18.99 acres (7.68 hectares) have been carefully managed by the owner and livestock grazed with a strong emphasis on conservation creating the herb and species rich habitats that are present. The land is fenced with mature hedges and stone walls.
The woodland has been developed and well managed principally to enhance the overall conservation feel at Luckington Court.
There are 1.27 acres (0.51 hectares) of shelter belt and strategically planted copses and which contribute to the overall diverse habitats and environmental feel.
COUNCIL TAX BANDS 2022/23
Luckington Court H £4062
Rose Garden Cottage B £1580
The Coach House A £1354
The Courtyard C £1805
The Studio N/A
Court Farm Cottage D £2031
METHOD OF SALE
The Freehold of Luckington Court is offered for sale by private treaty, as a whole.
Luckington Court will be sold subject to an 8% overage for a period of 30 years. Further details from the selling agents.
Mains electricity and water is connected to all the properties, including the traditional and modern farm buildings.
Luckington Court has an oil fired central heating system and the remaining properties have electric storage heaters.
There is a new Biopure sewerage plant with the capacity for 28 persons installed in the lower farm building yard which services all the properties.
Luckington Court is Grade II* Listed.
Rose Garden Cottage, The Coach House, Courtyard Cottage, Dovecote, The Studio and The Stable Block are all Grade II Listed.
BASIC PAYMENT SCHEME AND ENTITLEMENTS
Luckington Court is registered with the Rural Land Register and Rural Payments Agency for the purposes of the current Basic Payment Scheme (BPS).
There are a total of 10.99 entitlements held for Luckington Court which will be included in the sale. The seller will retain the 2022 BPS claim. Upon completion, the entitlements will be transferred to the buyer(s).
WAYLEAVES EASEMENTS AND RIGHTS OF WAY
There are three public rights of way which cross Luckington Court, as shown on the sale land plan.
Strictly by prior appointment only, arranged through Richard Nocton of Woolley & Wallis in Marlborough +44 (0) 1672 515252
From London - travel along the M4 westbound until you reach Junction 17. Take the A429 north towards Malmesbury. Continue through the market town on the B4040 west, signposted Sherston. Travel through the village of Sherston and into Luckington.
Upon reaching the village, take the left hand turn opposite the Old Royal Ship Public House and The Green into Church Road and the entrance for Luckington Court will be found on the left hand side.